Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Switzerland

Made it to Switzerland but can't say that I am a fan of flying. I really just don't like and never feel good once I get off the plane and this proved true again today. I have been able to sleep in the airport (Zurich is a very nice airport and I really could not have a better place for this 12 hour layover.) and am starting to feel better. The whole experience of flying again though was very entertaining. First, the little safety review that the flight attendants give was not done in person by them. It was an animated video and really not nearly as fun or memorable. Disappointing. Second, just before we took off all the screens in front of us played a video about Swiss Air and all of the amenities that they offer. Really what this 15 minute video told me was it might be worth the money to fly first class. It is living in the lap of luxury. A seat that turns into a bed, pajamas and slippers from the airline and what appeared to be 5 star dinning and not your typical airplane food. Here's to dreaming that I get bumped up to first class sometime to get the full flying experience. :) And speaking of airplane food, it is true, not very good. I know that I am a picky eater. This was brought to my attention may times as I was getting ready to leave. I opted for the chicken and rice meal over the vegetarian pasta. I figured there would be too many weird vegetables in the pasta and chicken and rice sounded pretty straight forward. But chicken and rice means that chicken is cooked with onions (I do NOT do onions) and the rice is mixed with lentils. I have never had lentils and honestly would not know what they are if it were not for friends with weird bodies that put them on crazy diets. (Way to go, Aubs. I knew what I was eating all because of you.) I also tried tapioca pudding of this flight. Lentils and tapioca pudding, these have been my food adventures so far. I have to believe that it can only get more exciting from here.

Airport adventures. Zurich is a great airport and as already mentioned, I was able to sleep a little bit more here. I must have looked lost when I got into the airport. I waited for everyone else to check where they had to be for connecting flights instead of fighting the crowds because I knew that I had awhile to wait. My flight was not listed because of the long layover so I did not have the gate that I needed to be at yet. I just started walking. I was stopped when I walked past a security check point. The man asked if I needed help. I said that I did not know where I was going and where he recommend that I wait. He told me that he could get me through security and I would have the entire airport to roam around until my gate was listed. I said that would be great and went through security. Here is the thing, I was the only person going through security! Honest truth. Just me and and about 7 security guards at the checkpoint. Nothing was going so they fired it up and I walked through in less than 30 seconds. Thank you friendly security guard. Since then, I have been sleeping, taking a few pictures and using the internet that I paid $5 a day for.

Now a few pictures, hopefully.
I saw this rainbow just after I found a place to sit and pulled out my computer. I quick grabbed my camera to get a few pictures. I took a few and then remembered to turn the flash off. By this time is was gone and this was the best one that I got. Hopefully my picture taking abilities start to improve.

This has been my view for the day. I have loved watching the sky change over the beautiful trees and small little homes.

That about wraps up my first full day of this adventure. Prayers for a smooth flight in a few hours and that my body is able to adjust quickly as I start at Door of Hope less than 4 hours after I land in Johannesburg!

Missing you all at home, 
Em

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you ate lentles and this blog makes me so happy and giggly - it's like your saying it right in the same room! Showering you with love and snuggles! Hope tomorrow goes well at Door of Hope!

    ReplyDelete