Monday, November 5, 2012

3 hours

3 hours and the journey officially starts. The are packed and the 'see you April 30th's' have been said. I just received the last email about where and who will be picking me up in Johannesburg and when I start orientation. My flight lands at 10:20am and I will be picked up by another volunteer near the information desk. She is also from the states and that in itself is a very comforting thought. We will head to the volunteer flat where I will be staying and then I will start orientation at the baby house at 2pm. Quick start but I think it will be for the best. I can't wait to start writing about what happens while at the baby house!

As I pack the final things and say the last 'see you April 30', I can't help but wonder what that will be like 6 months from now. 25 weeks. 174 days. Will the good byes be just as hard? Will the emotions be just as strong? There will be a good chance that some of the people I meet I may only see once or twice in person again. But that is 6 months from now. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

For those wondering, here is what my travel schedule looks like:
November 5- Monday
7:10pm fly from Chicago to Zurich, Switzerland (8 hour 45 minute flight)
November 6- Tuesday
roughly a 12 hour lay over in Zurich
November 7- Wednesday
fly from Zurich to Johannesburg, South Africa (10 hour 35 minute flight)
I will land in Johannesburg at 10:20am. (5:20am Michigan time. South Africa is 5 hours ahead of Michigan.)
2pm start orientation!

I can not thank you all enough for the prayers and support that you have already given me. Know that I could not do this without all the support and encouragement that I get from you. Please keep it coming via facebook and email as I know there will be times in the upcoming weeks that homesickness will set in. I love you all and will miss you more than words can say.

29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father's care. 30 And even the very hairs on your head are all numbered. 31 So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.  - Matthew 10:29-31 NIV


No comments:

Post a Comment