Monday, February 18, 2013

Week 15


Week 15

Sunday

I started the week with a day off! I was able to go to church with Jeanette and Katy. We went to Riverside and had a great morning together. Lisa, a previous volunteer of Door of Hope and now living in South Africa, and her fiancé Jason were going to pick us up. Lisa ended up getting sick so it was only Jason that was able to come pick us up. Much to our surprise Jason picked us up in a car that they are borrowing from a friend and it was an automatic! Have not been on one of those in some time. We enjoyed the church service and the sermon on serving Jesus as a disciple. I also enjoyed getting out as this was the first time in 10 days that I left the gates of the baby house! I have grown to love Sundays in South Africa when I am able to get to church but I have also found that this can be one of the worst times for homesickness. It is during these times that I long to be back with family and friends worshipping together. I know it will come soon enough so right now I have to enjoy my time in South Africa worshipping the Lord knowing that everyone at home is also praising the same Savior!

Big Girl L Leaves

We had another child leave us this past week. Toddler L left. She was not adopted but went to another home. She has special needs and this home will better be able to meet her needs. This is the place that she will live the rest of her life in though. This leaving has hit me the hardest. I believe because L was one of my favorites and brought so much joy and also because she was not adopted nor will ever be adopted. I was working the day she left so we got her ready in a cute outfit. We sang the ‘we are one family’ song with the rest of the toddlers like is always done with them when someone leaves and I was asked to pray for her. I had to hold back the tears as I held her close and gave her back to God, thanking Him for giving L to us for this past season of her life. She then just left and we had to go on with out day. Later when the auntie that took her came back the kids were all excited because they thought that L was back as well. We had to explain again that she went to live some place else, so hard for these little minds to understand. L was one that got in trouble a far share and had to be told no very often. Her name was heard all the time. S who will be one in a week and a half has just started to say his first word, which just happens to be L’s name! He still crawls around even though she is gone and just says her name. It is far too cute. We already miss you L but hope that you are enjoying your new home with so much more space. We think of you all the time and pray for you daily. You will always have a place in our hearts. Please continue to pray for L as she makes this transition. Please also pray for the rest of us here that she left behind. I miss this girl so much more than I thought possible but I trust that God has some great plans for her life. Can’t wait to hear what they were when we are reunited in heaven one day.

Valentine’s Day

I got to spend Valentine’s Day with 11 little Valentine’s. I worked in the toddler room and it was just like any other day. After work we decided that we needed to do something for the day and we would have loved to dress up a little more and go out for dinner but our transportation situation would not allow such a thing to happen. We decided on a movie instead. We watched Dear John and ate cookies to celebrate the day. A pretty uneventful Valentine’s Day, per usual in most of our lives.

The Clinic

On one of my days off this past week I went to the clinic with one of the aunties, one of the office staff and 11 babies. We had to take two trips and I had to sit on the floor of the van for us to all fit but we made it. The clinic is not far and so the trips were short. We were also very lucky that the clinic was not busy and we got everything done in about two hours. All of the babies that went needed immunizations. The clinic that we went to was a government run clinic. Between the 11 babies they received 25 immunizations, lots of tears to say the least. Most of the kids that got shots were the small babies but three of the toddlers had to come as well. I was the one that held them on my lap as they received two or three shots each. It was such a blessing to be able to comfort these cuties when they really need it. I really enjoyed being able to get out for a little while and seeing what the clinic was like. Now all of the babies at baby house 1 are up to date on their immunizations. I was just lucky that I did not have to work and deal with the crying the rest of the day from the adventure out!

Happy Birthday to the BEST little sister a girl could ask for! It is Andrea’s birthday on Monday. She will be the big 22. I am so bummed that I can’t be at home to celebrate any of my sibling’s birthdays this year. I told them that I would make it up to them by bringing them back something from Africa. I guess I better get on that soon! If you see Andrea on Monday give her an extra hug for me and wish her happy birthday. I miss you something terrible Andrea and we will celebrate when I get home. Thanks for all the love and encouragement that you keep sending my way. I could not do this without your support. Next time you are coming with though! Love you loads.

In ending I am going to leave you with this scripture verse. Romans 8:28- ‘And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.’ I know that I have shared this verse before but it is one that just keeps coming back to me day after day. It has been the verse that I have been living by here in South Africa. It is a verse that I hope to continue to live by at home. God is working for my good as long as I continue to follow Him! That is such an incredible promise but I have learned that it does not come without work on my part. I have to keep following Him and turn to Him and He will work the good I don’t get to work the good but He does. One more verse that I have come across many times lately as well is from Ephesians 3:20-21- ‘Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.’ I just love this promise. He can do so much more than we can ask or imagine. This journey has been far more than I could have dreamed up or asked for. I can’t believe some days that is the power that is in me. We do serve a mighty God. I can’t wait to continue to see what God has up his sleeve for me.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts! Keep up the great work in shining Jesus in so many ways! Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete