Wednesday, October 31, 2012

5 days...

Well, I suppose that it is about time for an update again. 5 days! That is what the countdown says. It is hard to believe it is that close. The past few weeks I have been busy checking things that need to get done off the list. The suitcases are out and opened up. Last night I started to put things in them. Most of what I will be taking with me is clothes and reminders of home. Almost everything else that I will need I will be able to get once I get to there. This means that I will be trying new shampoos, toothpastes and other things of this nature. For those who know about my need for routine, this could prove to be a bit of a challenge in the beginning but I just keep telling myself that it is all part of the adventure!

As the countdown number gets smaller the amount of emotion that comes with this step of faith get bigger. I have been asked what I am most nervous about. The short answer is relationships and communication. It has just been in the past few years that I have really begun to open myself up to people and truly show who I was to more than just family. The biggest influence for this is by far Geneva. Through my summers of serving at camp I have learned the importance of community and have been blessed to have found a Christ centered community to be part of. The relationships that have developed as a result of this will be life long and are people that I rely on so much. It is scary to think about leaving these behind for 6 months because life will never be the same with these relationships again. I have faith that they will only get better but they will not be the same. The other fear is communication. I will not be connected with a phone to make a quick call or send a text with. I will be relying on internet connection for most of my communication with friends and family at home. I will also have to learn to initiate communication with those at home with my schedule and the time change. While there is the fear of how the communication piece will work, I am so thankful that the internet is so widely used and that this kind of communication will be possible. Now that the nervous have been put out there, I am also very excited for this trip! I have dreamed about doing orphan ministry in Africa for so long and it is now a reality. I am really excited to love on babies and learn about a new culture. I am excited about the possibility of new friendships and having another place in the world that is 'home'.

Please continue to pray this week as I say "see you May" to friends and family finish getting ready. I had to send in one more piece of information for my visa to today so please continue to pray for that process to be completed as soon as possible. Pray for safe and easy travels and for s sense of peace to continue.

P.S. I am looking for suggestions for music and books to have with me. I need a few new songs to put on the ipod. I am going to take a couple of books with me also and as looking for any suggestions that you might have.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for life-long Geneva relationships! Things may change, but we'll still love you for the beautiful woman of God that you are. Thanks for being so honest about your fears--it can be difficult, but vulnerability draws us closer too. :)
    See you in May!

    ReplyDelete